She mutely ate her cupcake as the others chattered around her. They would never understand what she was contemplating. To speak would be an open invitation for them to pass judgment, to hand her their opinion. She could envision what each would be. She could hear them justify their harshness, “We just want what’s best for you.” No, they wanted what was best for them, what they could comprehend; what fit within their world. She thought of that old adage about opinions and assholes. She smiled and kept eating.
Mocha Mini Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting
This is my go-to moist chocolate cake recipe with a bit of extra espresso flavoring.
- Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- strong espresso plus cold water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar Frosting Ingredients
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. dulce de leche
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cold
- 3 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside. Combine espresso with cold water to equal one cup. Mix espresso, oil, vanilla and vinegar together. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The mixture will be wet.
- Pour the batter into paper mini-cupcake cups and bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- While cupcakes cool, make frosting by beating ingredients together until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes.