The light’s changed – almost imperceptibly. The brilliance fades a bit earlier in the evening. It’s not autumn yet, still blazing hot without a hint of color in the leaves. We have weeks yet of this waiting, this limbo between seasons. My recipes for stews and soups
Apple pumpkin upside-down cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1½ cup apples, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9” round pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in brown sugar until blended. Pour into prepared pan, evenly covering bottom.
- Sprinkle with apples and almonds
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat eggs, pumpkin, oil, sugar and vanilla until smooth. In another bowl, combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture. Spread batter evenly over apples.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of pan then invert cake onto a serving platter. Remove pan and parchment. Let cool at least 20 minutes.