This dish is my attempt at a dessert-like French toast served at Residence U Cerneho Orla, my charming B&B in Prague. Each morning’s tray of delicacies included a petite dish cupping a slender raft of French toast and sautéed apples, afloat on a pond of syrupy butter sauce. The toast absorbs the warm sauce like a sponge, transforming this humble breakfast food into a custard-like dessert.
Cinnamon Apple French Toast
-1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced
– ½ cup water
– 4 Tablespoon butter, plus more for pan
– ¼ cup sugar
– ½ teaspoon cinnamon(divided)
– 2 eggs
– ½ cup milk
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla
– 4 slices egg bread, such as challah
- In a pan, melt butter, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in water. Add apple slices and cook for 5 minutes covered until softened. Remove lid and continued cooking until sauce is reduced by half. Sauce should be the consistency of watered-down maple syrup. Add additional water, if needed. Remove from heat, cover again and set to the side.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Heat butter in another pan. Dip bread into the egg mixture and cook in pan until puffed and browned. Remove from pan and dip in apple butter sauce.
- Serve French toast liberally covered with butter sauce and apples.