Remember how you suffered through the last week of school before summer vacation? You couldn’t wait for summer to begin, concentrating seemed impossible, time in the classroom dragged on forever, and you were incensed if teachers asked you to do any actual work. You just had to get through those…last…few…day.
Déjà vu. I’m one week away from being officially laid off and the hour can’t arrive soon enough. I’m anxious for the moment when my time is once mine to spend as I desire. Sign my yearbook already and let’s get on with it.
In honor of the season (although it doesn’t officially begin until Monday), today’s recipe highlights a summer produce classic – freshly-picked sweet summer corn.
Summer Roasted Corn and Chimichurri Salad
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, tough stems removed
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ears corn, roasted
- ½ cup yellow or red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- In a food processor, finely chop garlic. Add parsley, cilantro, vinegar, oil, cayenne, and salt. Pulse until finely chopped. Set chimichurri aside.
- Cut corn from cobs. In a medium bowl, combine corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion. Drizzle with ¼ cup chimichurri and combine (you will have leftover chimichurri).
- Side aside for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with 7-minute eggs, if desired.