If left to my own devices, I’d probably eat and cook nothing but desserts. Butter, sugar, flour – what’s not to love? In spite of this, I’ve got to include something green in my repertoire occasionally and this salad checks that box – and makes my taste buds happy, too. Sweet, sour, salty, with a touch of heat – again, what’s not to love?
Thai Beef Salad
- 1 small white cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 10-12 oz. ribeye steak
- 5 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons minced lemon grass
- 1 teaspoon minced Thai or serrano chili
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, torn
- ½ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Combine cabbage, carrots, cucumber, and bell pepper in a large bowl and refrigerate.
- Sprinkle ribeye with salt and pepper and cook until medium rare. Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice ribeye on diagonal and refrigerate.
- Combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, lemon grass, and chili and set aside.
- About 30 minutes before serving, marinate cooked ribeye in half of the dressing. Add onions, cilantro and mint leaves to cabbage mixture. Pour remaining dressing over cabbage and toss. Arrange ribeye slices and accumulated dressing over salad and garnish with peanuts.