“You’re HOW old?” They ask with such incredulity you would think I told them I have leprosy or I’m ½ human, ½ cyborg. “No, you’re lying. You can’t be.” Why would I lie about being old enough to be the grandmother of a 10 year old – and without the words “teenage mom” having passed anyone’s lips? After the initial shock wears off, I’m usually told that I look good for my age. The kiss of death – for my age, which really means I’m looking a bit haggard, but not when you consider I’m a woman of advanced years.
Yeah, I’m staring down a milestone birthday, deal with it. I have. Yes, of course I have regrets – I wish I had pursued my dreams earlier (or figured out what they were, for that matter), lived larger and bolder, loved with greater abandon, had the courage to make my mark on this world, balls to the wall. However, just because I’m no longer chugging up the hill, it doesn’t mean my life’s best parts are over. This is merely a new chapter, a new beginning and, this old dog’s looking for some new tricks.
Lamb Keftedes in Tomato Sauce
- ½ onion, grated
- 1 egg + 1 yolk, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon dried mint
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 slices fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 14 oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 wide strips orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 13×9 pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine, onion, eggs, mint, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne, add bread crumbs and lamb. Season with salt and pepper and mix until combined. Shape into 16 torpedo-shaped meatballs. Dredge in flour and place in pan. Bake approximately 40 minutes, turning over after 20 minutes, until browned.
- Meanwhile combine tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, garlic, orange zest and bay leaf in a large skillet. Heat on medium high until thickened. Add meatballs and simmer until meatballs absorb some of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve with fried potatoes.
Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing 🙂
These look amazing…and from what can be seen in your photo…so do you 🙂 for any age!