I’d make an appalling bed mate. In addition to my ridiculous fondness for ambient bedroom temperatures in the 50’s – and my certainty that both sides of the bed are “my” side, I have this awful habit of changing positions as if performing a sleeping triple Salchow, leaving pillows and covers strewn about the bedroom floor. I’ve been sleeping as a singlet for too long.
Perhaps my bed mate will overlook my sleeping habits if distracted by a sweet or two…
Apple Molasses Spice Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9″ round cake pan, line the bottom with parchment, oil again and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, soda, spices, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together molasses, sugar, egg, oil, ginger and water. Add molasses mixture to flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Fold in apples.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until toothpick comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 30 minutes, turn out onto rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with lightly whipped cream, if desired.