Ah, December, when my reclusive side is not only tolerated, but exalted. When crackling fires, naps with kitties and piled blankets equal bliss and HBO loses to a Rankin-Bass animated holiday special – you know…Heat Miser, The Island of Misfit Toys, “Put one foot in front of the other.” Don’t pretend like you don’t still watch them.
December is also the month when this recluse can rationalize drinking a nightly mug of this decidedly decadent soul-warming beverage to abate the chill. I’ve been serving this spiked indulgence, which we’ve nicknamed “Hot Bubba,” for almost 30 years.
Hot Buttered Rum
- 1 pint gourmet Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (softened)
- 8 oz. Light Brown Sugar (by weight)
- 8 oz. Powdered Sugar (by weight)
- 8 oz. Salted Butter (softened)
- ½ teaspoon (generous) Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly ground)
- ½ jigger Rum or Spiced Rum
- ½ jigger Brandy
- Boiling Water
- Freshly ground nutmeg for garnish
- Make Batter: Beat together ice cream, sugars, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg until butter is evenly distributed throughout ice cream. Store in freezer.
- Place 2 or more Tablespoons of batter into a mug. Add rum and brandy and fill mug with boiling water. Stir until batter is fully dissolved. Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.
- Light the fire and let it snow.