“Impossible relationships. My special gift is impossible relationships.” Edward Lewis, Pretty Woman
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Real Simple Pumpkin Cream Sandwiches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cold
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpats.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat butter and sugars in a stand mixer until smooth, but not pale and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin, vanilla and eggs and beat until combined.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until just combined.
- Spoon 32 cookies onto the baking sheets. With a moist finger, slightly smooth the sides and top of each cookie round and flat.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until cookies are set, but not brown. Remove from sheets and cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar until filling is light and fluffy.
- Liberally spread the flat side of half of the cooled cookies with the filling. Don’t be shy; you need enough filling for two cookies. Sandwich together with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate or serve within two hours.