Apples, cinnamon and rum-soaked raisins capture autumn in this moist Bundt cake. Coffee cake? Snack cake? Impressive post-meal dessert? It works for all three – you decide.
Autumn in L.A.
Feigning Hollywood starlet ennui, tanned summer leaves serenely suicide from weary trees, “Too hot,” they lament, “I cannot stay a moment longer.” L.A. subtly shifts into autumn, leaving paroxysms of sunset hues to the other coast.
Autumn Apple Cake
Adapted from Richardson’s Canal House Inn apple raisin cake.
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dark spiced rum
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut into ½” dice Glaze and Icing
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350⁰ F. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan, knocking out excess flour. Combine golden raisins and rum in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Set aside and let soak.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk together oil, eggs, sugars, and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in apples and drained golden raisins. Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 75 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 10 minutes and then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine unsalted butter, brown sugar and honey and heat on medium until sugar is completely melted and glaze is thickened and bubbling. Brush over top and sides of cake. Combine powdered sugar with enough water to make a glaze and drizzle over cake. Serve plain of with sweetened whipped cream
LikeLiked by 2 people