Christmas in London! Such a brilliant notion. Those powder-dusted cobbled lane pics in my Instagram feed seduced me. Granted, we have just a week to plan, yet our passports are current, we know where we want to go, what we want to do – and we’re both quiet experienced travelers. All we really need is a London hotel and a cheap, last minute flight. But, alas, there’s the rub – nothing less than $1800 per person, even with a layover. Sigh, Christmas in London – again, not this year.
I console myself, as I decorate the tree, with these British-inspired confections – bite-sized Cranberry Bakewell Tarts. At least my taste buds can travel there.
Cranberry Bakewell Mini Tarts
- Shortbread Crust
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt Frangipane (Almond Crème)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 Tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons smooth cranberry sauce or cranberry jelly Glaze
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 16 sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 16 mini muffin cups. Make crust by beating together 6 Tablespoons butter and sugar. Add vanilla, flour and salt and combine until fully blended. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces, pressing dough along bottom and up sides of each muffin cup. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just beginning to brown. If crust rises too much after baking, gently press back down into cups.
- While crusts are baking, make frangipane by whisking together 4 Tablespoons butter, confectioner’s sugar, egg, almond flour and cornstarch. Spoon frangipane into a piping bag with a ¼ to ½” tip.
- Dollop about ½ teaspoon of cranberry sauce in the bottom of each cup. Pipe frangipane over cranberry sauce, covering sauce completely. Bake tarts for an additional 20-25 minutes until tops are puffed and slightly golden brown. Cool completely
- To make glaze, mix 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar with water. Drizzle over cooled tarts. Garnish each with a sliced almond.