Every morning at the cabin around 7 a.m., the landlords would hang a breakfast basket on a hook just outside the front door. The contents would change daily, but there was an overall theme – orange juice, fruit, some combination of granola or cereal with yogurt or milk, a homemade sweet pastry, and a homemade savory pastry.
I’d wake up and grab my basket from the hook, make myself a cup of coffee, rewarm the pastries in the oven, and then carry my repast to the flagstone patio. I’d spend the remainder of the morning watching the sun peek its head above the mountaintop while munching on my breakfast.
I made this granola upon my return to help ease me back into workday life and remind me of breakfast at the cabin.
Coconut Walnut Granola
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup toasted flax seeds
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the oats, walnuts, and pepitas together in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Cover with oil, maple syrup and vanilla and stir well.
- Spread granola on a half-sheet pan and bake about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until granola is evening brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately add flax seeds, raisins, and coconut to sheet pan. Cool and store.