It’s 2017 and everyone is either cleansing or detoxing. Sugar is evil, gluten kills, dairy is your enemy…well, if you look at scientific research, that’s a bit of hyperbole. Do I think our diets can become skewed with too many carbs (raises hand), sugar (nods vigorously), and caffeine (guilty again) – absolutely. Everything in moderation. Do I think a 30 day detox is the way to realign? Not for most. Cleanses and detoxes give us control over our lives, they are a way for us to feel virtuous and give us something to discuss over lunch – seared fish with a lemon spritz – no butter, no oil, no sauce…because most sauces, you know, contain sugar (gasp!).
With that said, however, it’s time for me to get my eating realigned. Once of the pitfalls of having a dessert- focused blog – there’s always a cookie or slice of cake within reach at my house.
|My issues||My Solutions|
|1||I drink coffee all day long||Drink green tea instead of coffee|
|2||I don’t drink much (any) water||Drink more water (green tea)|
|3||I skip breakfast||Eat a quick, hot, breakfast every day|
|4||Starving, I grab unhealthy snacks at the office||Stock office with healthy snacks|
|5||I don’t eat small meals throughout the day||Eat those healthy snacks!|
|6||I eat a big dinner late at night||Don’t starve yourself until dinner|
|7||I overindulge on carbs and sugar||Sample a recipe and give the rest away|
|8||I don’t eat enough vegetables||Keep veggies at home & add to recipes|
|9||I don’t eat enough fish||Stock up on frozen fish/create recipes|
Addressing issues number 3, 7, and 8 above…
Healthy Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- 1/2 cup canned chopped pineapple, drained
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine carrots, apple, nuts, raisins and pineapple. In a medium bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt. Whisk together milk, egg, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour liquid mixture over oats, stirring to combine then add carrot mixture and stir until incorporated. Let sit 10 minutes for liquid to be absorbed. Pour into baking dish. Bake 35-45 minutes until just set at the center. Serve warm.