Inspired by one of my favorite recipes for Ginger Crunch Slices, these rich bars combine buttery shortbread, spicy ginger-cardamom caramel, creamy bittersweet ganache and sweet-salty hazelnut “croquant.”
I planned on giving them to the new neighbors across the street, but after eating two, decided to keep this batch all for myself.
Ginger Hazelnut Millionaire Bars
More like an exotic candy than a cookie, the combination of butter, heady spices, bittersweet chocolate and hazelnuts create quite a flavor bomb.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt Caramel
- 7 Tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoons cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup Hazelnut Croquant
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- pinch salt Ganache
- 4.5 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil and butter the foil.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour and salt and beat until the batter just starts to clump together. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan, lightly prick the shortbread with the tines of a fork, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until pale golden in color. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the caramel. Caramel:
- In a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine caramel ingredients, bring to boil and pour over shortbread. Cool. Hazelnut Croquant:
- While caramel is cooling, heat sugar and water in a small nonstick skillet over high heat, swirling, until sugar dissolves. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, swirling occasionally, until amber, about 4 minutes. Add hazelnuts and stir for 30 seconds to coat.
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or a nonstick baking mat, and immediately spread nuts on sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let cool. Coarsely chop. Ganache:
- Once caramel is cool, place bittersweet chocolate, heavy whipping cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk until completely melted and combined. Pour over caramel and smooth. Sprinkle with hazelnut croquant. Let set for an hour or two, or refrigerate until set. Remove from pan using foil, cut into 16 fingers.
My husband introduced me to millionaire’s shortbread and now I’m a huge fan. These look even better!
First of all you have my heart with these bars. The fact that you have ginger and hazelnut together makes me HAPPY HAPPY. Like dance around happy. I also really like the cardamom.
Oh wow, these are totally up my alley! I love ginger so much and need to try these!
Oh my goodness this looks so decadent. This would be a great treat to make during the holiday season!
Pingback: Best Recipes of 2017 | Two-Bit Tart
Pingback: Holiday Cookie Round-up | Two-Bit Tart