This tamale pie stuffed with pulled pork was inspired by a dish I enjoyed during a Trust dinner at Playground 2 in Orange County. The pate a choux masa keeps the pie light and fluffy.
BBQ Pulled pork Tamale Pie
The trick to fluffy masa is choux dough.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup whole milk
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup masa flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups BBQ pulled pork (I used Trader Joe’s, but you can also make your own)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine water, milk, butter and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a full boil. Add masa all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away for the side of the pan. Continue to cook and stir the mixture for about 1 more minute.
- Cool mixture by running side of pan under faucet until mixture is room temperature. Beat in one egg at a time using the wooden spoon, making sure dough is smooth before adding the next egg. Beat the dough until smooth and shiny.
- Spread 1/3rd of dough on the bottom of a 8” square pan. Layer with pulled pork and cover with remaining 2/3rd of dough. Bake for 30-40 minutes until pie is slightly golden and bubbling around edges.