A coffee lover’s dream…dark mocha ganache sandwiched between two delicate butter cookies.
The only way I know how to say “thank you” to someone who drinks a quadruple espresso every morning…
Mocha Viennese Whirls
Dark Mocha Ganache sandwiched between two delicate butter cookies.
- Mocha ganache
- 6 oz. dark chocolate (at least 60% cocoa)
- 6 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules Cookies
- 9 oz. unsalted butter, very soft (not European style)
- 1 ¾ oz. confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt (not kosher salt)
- 8 oz. all-purpose flour
- 1 oz. cornstarch
- Make ganache: Place the chocolate and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted (60-90 seconds). Add instant coffee and stir until completely combined and smooth. Cover and refrigerate until spreadable consistency, about 90 minutes.
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 3 baking sheets with baking parchment. Using a 2” round cutter as a guide, draw 8 circles on each sheet of paper, spaced well apart. Turn the paper over so the pencil marks are underneath.
- Beat the butter, confectioner’s sugar and salt in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and cornstarch and beat until thoroughly mixed. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium star nozzle. Pipe 24 swirled rounds (not rosettes), inside the circles on the baking sheets. Refrigerate cookies for 15 minutes before baking (this will help cookies retain their shape).
- Bake in the center of the oven for 13—15 minutes, until pale golden-brown. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Assemble: Pipe a layer of ganache onto the flat side of 12 of the cookies and sandwich with the remaining cookies. Dust with confectioner’s sugar. Enjoy!