My final pie in the Pie trilogy is a coffee caramel macadamia pie.
Based on last week’s hotel bed eating confession, it’s no surprise to hear that, on a recent business trip to Hawaii, I polished off an entire canister of coffee glazed macadamia nuts while lying in bed. I’m not proud of it, but constant traveling, even to tropical locations, messes with my eating, sleeping, and exercise regimen – but especially my eating. Six hours in coach, 24 hours on Oahu, another plane, 24 hours on Maui and then six hours back home – that is not a vacation. So, when I stumbled into my hotel room, tired and stiff from waking up at 3:30 a.m. and flying across the Pacific in a tin can, is it any wonder that my first act, even before unpacking, was to crack open the comfort food canister of nuts waiting for me in my hotel room?
This pie is inspired by those coffee glazed nuts – a little salty, a bit sweet, with a dash of coffee to compliment the buttery richness of the macadamia nuts…all encased in a flaky pastry crust.
Coffee Caramel Macadamia Pie
- 1 9” pie crust (pre-made if you must, but I recommend homemade)
- 2 cups roasted unsalted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large yolks
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat to 350 degrees F. Blind bake the crust for about 15 minutes until just beginning to brown. Cool, cover pie crust with macadamia nuts and chill crust until ready to use.
- Beat together the eggs, yolks, sugar, corn syrup, instant coffee, and salt. Whisk in the melted butter, heavy cream, flour and vanilla. Pour over macadamia nuts and sprinkle flaky sea salt on top. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the filling is set at the edge but slightly wobbly in the center. Cool pie completely before slicing.
The pie looks scrumptious! 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Holiday Baking Round-up | Two-Bit Tart
Pingback: Coffee Flavored Desserts - Mom. Wife. Busy Life.
Pingback: Coffee Desserts Recipes - Outnumbered 3 to 1
Pingback: 15 Easy Coffee Desserts To Make Now - Coastal Wandering