Simple carrot soup is elevated with the addition of Thai flavors, turning an everyday vegetable into something rather special in this Thai Carrot Soup.
I’m sweating as I shuttle food styling materials from kitchen to photo studio (AKA The backyard shed). “Soup Weather” in Southern California has morphed into sun-drenched 72 degree days. So much for those hearty soups I’ve been stirring up the past two weeks. This weather requires lighter fare for these temperate days. This mouthwatering Thai carrot soup laced with creamy coconut milk and piquant red curry is just what the Channel 7 weatherman ordered.
Thai Carrot Soup
Simple carrot soup is elevated with the addition of Thai flavors, turning an everyday vegetable into something rather special.
- 1 lb. carrots, sliced into coins
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- sliced green onions, cilantro sprigs, or sriracha (optional, for garnish)
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, sauté carrots and onions in oil until onions have softened. Add broth, red curry paste, brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until carrots are fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, add coconut milk and cilantro. Using a blender, blend soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot; season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish bowls with green onions, cilantro sprigs or sriracha.
As for Thai food I cook tom yum and tom kha kai soups like every week to warm up (I hate winter!), but I’d love to try something new, yet similar. This soup seems perfect. Thanks.
This sounds super delicious and ridiculously easy! I love Thai soups, so I really think I’d enjoy this one as well.
Thanks for sharing! I’m in a very good soup mode these days and really wanted an awesome new recipe with a kick!
This sounds absolutely FABULOUS! I love red curry and coconut milk in just about anything is sure to be delicious!
Looks great! Love that you use a separate space as your food studio. Goals for us!
Yum! This soup sounds warm and comforting. I love the Thai soups and would really enjoy trying this carrot one. Sounds easy enough to make. I’ll give it a whirl.
i love the ingredients, i’m a sucker for coconut milk and red thai curry paste!
Haha! I’m in Florida, where the temp yesterday was 80F…I feel your pain! I eat soup even during our horrendously hot summers, so this soup look fabulous to me! Pinned it for later =)
Sounds and looks like such a tasty soup!