Are you a Chocoholic – a craver of all things chocolate? Come into my lair, darling…my aspiration for this recipe is your personal entrapment. If my baking raison d’être is luring you into my den of culinary debauchery, guaranteeing your enslavement, what would your cocoa kryptonite look like? My money is on these – thick layers of creamy bittersweet ganache sandwiched between soft jumbo double-chocolate cookies.
In fact, I may have overdone it – a pinch too much. Neither my 14-year old niece, my sister-in-law, nor I could eat an entire cookie. One of these cookies wouldn’t just enslave you, it would incapacitate you. I recommend you go with the standard size option listed below.
P.S. After naming these, I discovered that “Motherload Cookies” is also the name of a strain of marijuana. Rather than change the name, I decided to keep it – you’ll need to be stoned to eat an entire jumbo size cookie.
Chocolate Motherload Cookies
- 32 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips, divided (YIKES!)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Place 12 oz. chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted (about 90 seconds). Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla. In another small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir egg mixture into melted chocolate until fully incorporated. Then add flour mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in 8 oz. of chocolate chips and toasted walnuts. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 60 minutes.
- Make ganache by placing the remaining 12 oz. of chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted (60-90 seconds). Cover and refrigerate until spreadable consistency, about 90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets will Silicone or parchment paper. Scoop dough onto sheets, placed about 1” apart (2 Tablespoons dough for jumbo, 1 Tablespoon for standard size cookies). With the bottom of a glass or similar, press dough to flatten into even ½” thick rounds. Bake until cookies no longer look wet, but they are still soft ( about 12 minutes for jumbo and 10 minutes for standard size). Cool cookies on sheets then transfer to racks.
- Generously spread flat side of half the cookies with ganache and top with remaining cookies. Cookies filled with ganache will keep, covered, at room temperature for two days. More than two days, store filled cookies in refrigerator, bring to room temperature before eating. Pour yourself a tall glass of ice-cold milk and enjoy.