Digging through my “recipes to try” pile, I came across a clipping from Gourmet magazine for Chocolate-Toffee S’More Cookies. Ummm…yum! Just returning from a 10 day vacation, I was feeling magnanimous towards my co-workers and decided to whip up a batch.
Problem #1: This recipe makes 10 big-ass cookies. I have 14 co-workers. My work-around was to make 14 smaller cookies by making a longer log.
Problem #2: The recipe calls for ¼ c. of shortening. I don’t keep shortening in my house. Rather than buy a big tub that will go rancid, I increased the butter by 2 oz.
Problem #3: Since the cookies were smaller, the S’More topping didn’t perch very well on the cookies so I cut each marshmallow in half, making it easier to mound on top of the cookies.
The results? The butter gave me a very flat, yet chewy cookie. The marshmallows, being smaller, melted too much during baking. The cookies were delish, but not very attractive.
The Lesson? Don’t mess with a successful recipe. Next time, I’ll follow it to a “T”.
Chocolate-Toffee S’More Cookies
Yield: 10 Jumbo cookies
Cook Time: 18 min
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
One (8-ounce) package toffee baking bits
1 1/2 (5 x 2½-inch) graham crackers
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1. To Make Dough: Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Then beat in egg and vanilla. At low speed, mix in flour until dough just comes together, then mix in toffee pieces.
2. Shape dough into an 8-inch log (3 inches in diameter) on a floured surface with floured hands, then flatten ends and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 6 hours.
3. Make Topping and Bake Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. with racks in center of oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with silpat® or parchment.
4. Finely grind graham crackers (I used a ziplock® bag and rolling pin). You should have about 1/4 cup. Then stir together crumbs, marshmallows and condensed milk (the mixture will be very sticky.)
5. Cut dough crosswise into 10 (3/4-inch-thick) slices. Place about 1 T. of topping on the center of each cookie. Place 3 to 4 slices on each baking sheet (cookies will spread about 5 inches during baking.)
6. Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes, until topping is golden and cookies are baked through.
7. Slide cookies with parchment onto racks to cool completely. Bake remaining cookies in the same manner on freshly lined baking sheets.
Source: Gourmet Magazine
The recipe girl seemed to have a bit more luck: