I finally joined my local chapter of Slow Food USA today. They have principals principles I can stand behind…well, all except maybe #6 and #7…but I could, if I had to.
Slow Food Principals Principles (thanks Ross!)
Our everyday lives can be enriched by taking time to slow down and enjoy life with family and friends. Living the slow life with food as the focus is as rewarding as it is easy, and it can be done daily by each one of us.
1. Visit a local farmers’ market
2. Start a kitchen garden
3. Make pasta from scratch one night
4. Invite a friend over to share a meal
5. Squeeze your own lemonade from the fresh fruit
6. Create a new food memory for a child! Bake with your child or teach them to plant seeds for a meal.
7. Trace your food sources
8. Linger over a glass of wine and a slice of cheese
9. Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) in your area
10. Decide to eat lunch sitting down instead of standing up
11. Visit a farm in your area
12. Learn your local food history! Prepare an authentic regional dish or discover a food that is celebrated by your culture.