…and had all the answers.
Do you ever have those dreams that impart so much truth, wisdom and clarity that you commit to remembering every bit upon waking?
I had one of those dreams the other night – the message was so relevant and important. The key to my happiness was locked in its meaning. If I could remember, my life would change. As I stirred from sleep, the details scattered from my mind like raindrops flung from my opening eyelashes. Oh, the horror! Of course, it cannot be that easy.
I’ve been talking with a friend lately about metamorphosis and transformation. Why do we confine ourselves to be the person we have scripted? I’ve spoken before about our personal “story” – the story that we’ve concocted to describe ourselves…something to put behind the “I”. “I am this”, “I do that” and “I like those”. We conscribe our own possibilities.
So, what did my dream have to tell me? Alas, the details are gone, but snippets are still fluttering in my mind. My dream was about things that hold us back from true transformation – from radically changing our story.
- Fear of failure
- Fear of success – “who am I to deserve this?”
- Idleness – why bother, I’m content where I am
- Comfort in the known – transformation is inherently uncomfortable
- Morals, values and laws that may no longer apply, serve a purpose, or be correct – society’s and our own personal beliefs
- The opinion of others
- The energy to make it happen – with barely the strength to get through the week, how do we find the strength to transform?
If we can overcome these obstacles, then true, lasting, profound change can be ours, but that, my friend, is a difficult road.